TECHNET Archives

September 2007

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hfjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 21:51:31 +0200
Dear Vlad,

First image is 0.5 kV, next 2.0 kV, then 5 kV and finally 20 kV.
The numerous small grains and the pores are not normal for semi
metallization. The spectra is collected from areas with these protrusions
or grains. Compared with normal chips, no F present. The spectrometer has no
False F peaks. The only such peak is a very small Si peak, which is common
For many EDAX's. There IS Fluorine!

I got a message from Leo Higgins, his comment tells me he knows about semi
processes, which I do myself. I've done analysis for TI, MOTA, NG, XILINX
and some more, and I've seen a lot, especially from MESFETs and HBTs, but
these chips are little of a mystery because of the extremely bad wire
bondability. The problem is of course not to find in the epitaxial
processes, but in the metallisation chain. The fluorine problems used to be
found in the early time of semiconductors, and was well known, but I have
not seen that failure category for years and years. Maybe something happen
when this US company moved production to...erh..other countries.

Contaminated rinse water or contaminated vacuum/sputter equipments may also
be a source (very unusual with serious manufacturers).

Auger, yep, we have the machine not far away. FIB or TOFSIMS may also be of
interest.

The production of laser equipments is stopped because of these dirty little
creeps. They hoped I would give them good news, but I can't accept the
quality of these chips. If they ask for reference, I'll say a lion told me.

Inge