TECHNET Archives

September 2007

From:
- bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, - bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 19:29:59 -0400
September 20, 2007

The bottom line is that inspection criteria (Class 1 versus Class 2 versus
Class 3) alone does not define the overall  qualify of a product regarding
expected life of fielded product.  I argued with IPC Task Groups for years
that IPC specs should be class less.  We argued this concept vigorously when
we first developed NATIONAL-STD-SOLDERING (aka. J-STD-001).  I wanted IPC
specs to be based solely on what is required technically, and not based on
what type of equipment was being produced.  I lost.

The real issue that folks should strive for in any manufacturing process is
good process control.  If you have a good product design and an effective
system of process control in place, based on the physics of soldering,
solder should go where it is supposed to go and you should wind up with a
good quality solder joint regardless of what product class is specified
(Basically you should always get Class 3 by default).  Adding product
classes to IPC specifications just opens the door for folks to ship less
than perfect quality products.

Although implementing a well documented (using metrics) and effective
process control system costs $ up-front, the long term payoff is better
quality and less $ based on equipment lifetime considerations and customer
satisfaction.  If you are looking to save money, the answer is not to revert
to a lower product class designation.  A better approach is to spend some up
front $ and form a team of knowledegable folks to do an in-depth evaluation
of your existing manufacturing processes by engaging one or more Black Belts
to do a Kaizen event or a Value Stream Map (VSM) of your existing
manufacturing processes to drive for continuous process improvement.  Only
then will you truly achieve long term product quality and lower life time
cost reductions.