TECHNET Archives

September 2007

From:
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:15:56 -0500
Here are two possible causes if it is not the solder joint itself.
1. The metal can is shorting out to the traces on the board, pulling the signal to ground. When you take the crystal completely off and put it back on, it is possible you are inadvertently soldering it back down with a small amount of space under the part, fixing the short. This would also make sense if you are able to push it to the side to fix the problem.
2. The lead connections inside of the metal can crystal are defective. When you completely unsolder the leads, the heat from doing so is "repairing" the connections further up the leads, inside the can.