TECHNET Archives

September 2007

From:
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 02:37:36 -0400
Rob,
based on my understanding, the class 1, 2, 3, is performance (design)
requirement, attached link of 6013 showed example of flex requirement
of 1,2,3.  Normally, there is a price difference attach to the
different class (quality, inspection, sampling plan.  Appendix A is a
useful check list for the differentiation.  In my past life, I would
have 2 vendors, one for class 3 and one for class 2, depend upon the
requirements.  For some hi-mix low volume, hi-rel, go to the class
3.  Pay a bit more to sleep well at night.  Vendor qual for the class
2, would not be used for such a job.  Most of the class 2 job can go
to both vendors.  I would not use class 1 for any jobs on my hand (no
moisture, no current carrying test, etc.).  Being said, I was not
making toys at the time.
http://www.ipc.org/html/IPC-6013Amendment1Published4-00.pdf
                               jk (my 2 cents)