TECHNET Archives

September 2007

From:
Guenter Grossmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Guenter Grossmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:18:33 +0200
Rob

Reliability is a number. Its the probability that a given entity does
the expected job after a given time under given stress. Class 1, 2, 3
are not defined by the reliability of the product but by the
application. High reliability is an arbitrary expression which means
high expectations to the reliability. No numbers are given.

Best regards

Guenter

EMPA
Swiss Federal Laboratories  for Materials Testing and Research
Centre for Reliability
Guenter Grossmann,  Senior Engineer

8600 Duebendorf
Switzerland

Phone: xx41 44 823 4279
Fax :     xx41 1 823 4054
mail:     [log in to unmask]

>>> Rob Strecker <[log in to unmask]> 09/19/07 4:15 pm >>>
I was wondering if there is any documentation out there stating the
reliability of products built to IPC class 1 compared to class 2 or 3?
We are a class 2 manufacture and are looking at reducing our
inspections, however will this put us in the class 1 category by
default
if we only catch defects at functional test?  What inspection must we
do
in order to maintain class 2?

Thanks,

Rob