TECHNET Archives

August 2007

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brooks,Bill
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 11:18:41 -0700
I have reverse engineered boards too, and the 'layer peal away' method works
pretty well if you are careful. A vertical end mill or possibly abrasive
removal might work. John's method sounds like a very good solution.

However you will destroy the original. Sometimes you only have one copy of
the board and want to preserve it... then what?

It was suggested to me that you could send the board to a local board shop
and have them generate a net list by probing all the points on the board.
Having a netlist would help a lot... maybe even if you wanted to recreate a
schematic to go with the board design...

X-ray might be useful additionally in seeing the internal layer structures
but seeing the details can be difficult to do thru a lot of layers...

Just a thought... I wonder if heating it to a level that delamination occurs
would help in stripping off the layers or not... probably would make a mess
of it though... hard to say, never tried it.

Before going through that though, I would do an exhaustive search for the
original artwork, in house, and at previous vendors that made the board for
us to see if I could obtain images of the layers that way.

Good luck.

Bill