TECHNET Archives

August 2007

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hfjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 22:33:06 +0200
It depends (Whittaker Trade Mark). John Burke, the spokesman for making
electronics as cheap and fast and simple as possible, may tell you this: If
your product is for the cheapest of cheap parabola antennas, or for a simple
home LAN, use the cheapest FR-4 or paper board you can find. Such products
are so uncritically designed, that anything will work.

 On the other hand, if your customer is a responsible and demanding company
in Germany, you should not even use the word cheap, but be anxious to
fulfill the customer's requirements plus little extra.

The interpretation of what is said above is yours, I take no responsibility
for the content of the first part.

Inge

PS. Duroid, Taconic, Arlon, Speedboard...whatever they call themselves, they
seem to be approximately the same. We have been looking for a real low-cost
microwave material for years, and found none. One way to bring down the cost
is to plan the design in a way, that you can use FR4 as much as possible,
and microwave board material on such little area as possible. Many years
ago, we even planned to buy the ingredients and laminate microwave boards
ourselves!