TECHNET Archives

August 2007

From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:00:11 -0500
I wonder about the inability to rework any defective or failing
components or the ability to remove them for purposes of failure
analysis, the inability to inspect the copper buildup connection
directly at the component leads, the reliability of the buildup
connection to the component leads, the issues of potential heat
entrapment (in spite of thermal potting), how do you pot up something
like a large transformer or a 1 ufarad can capacitor, access to
trimpots, slide switches, etc.
Also, from a test/troubleshooting standpoint, unless all of the
terminations of every component are accessible for probing, how does one
go through the unit and verify the inputs/outputs of each component
unless they all go out to test points, and if that is the case, just how
dense is the assembly going to be with a large multitude of test
points/trace buildups all over the surface of the module, and how to
identify the particular test points, etc.