TECHNET Archives

August 2007

From:
"Douglas O. Pauls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:17:11 -0500
Kathy,
It depends.

Was the polyurethane at one time hard and now it is not?  If so, you might
have attack by an aggressive organic solvent making it tacky.

Was the material a thermal cure urethane that needed to see a minimum
temperature to get the cure reaction really going, and perhaps the
material did not see this temperature?

Was the urethane a two part material, as I suspect?  If so, then it could
be an improper mixing ratio between resin and hardener, or incomplete
mixing between resin and hardener.  Potentially, you might have a case of
"reversion", where a cured two part material reverts into its Part A and
Part B elements, though I have not seen this for many years.

How deep does tacky go?  If it was me, I would consider it a case for
rejection since it is clearly not what it is supposed to be, and certainly
a case for process investigation.

Doug Pauls

Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
08/14/2007 02:05 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to

cc

Subject
[TN] Tacking potting material

What causes tacky polyurethane potting material? Is tacky a cause for
rejection or is it a cosmetic issue only?
Thanks in advance
Kat