TECHNET Archives

August 2007

From:
Jack Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:07:10 -0500
Revision E work has begun on IPC-A-610 and J-STD-001. A-610D addressed hot tear/shrink hole in 5.2.11.  I believe that the original intent was specific to PTH connections, but as written, it can be applied to any LF connection (SMT, PTH or terminal soldering).

I've gathered a few comments--mostly questions--about failure mechanisms associated with hot tear. Several people claim evidence that hot tear cracks continue to propagate in the connections.

Taking J001 and 610 literally, a fracture in a solder connection is a failure. A common sense approach to the criteria would only have a fracture to be a defect when it is in a critical area of a connection, but that determination may require more knowledge and experience than the typical user has.

610D provided for acceptance of hot tear/shrink holes only when the bottom of the tear is visible or the tear/shrink hole does not contact the lead, land or barrel wall. In response to a user's questions, Werner Engelmaier, Engelmaier Associates, L.C., provided some information (copied below) that suggests that even if the tear is at or propagates all the way to conductor, lead or barrel, whether the bottom is visible or not, it isn't likely to cause a failure of the connection.

My question to any of you is whether anyone can provide any evidence to the 610 committee of connection failures that can unquestionably be tied to a shrink hole or hot tear. Please don't reply standard improvement comments to this forum for discussion--that's the function of the committee and I may overlook the comment on the forum. Send them to me [log in to unmask]

This is also a great time to send me any other comments you have against 610D, 001D, IPC-7711/21A or any other IPC document so the committees will have them at MidWest Expo Committee Meetings http://www.ipcmidwestshow.org/Std.aspx  I'll get your comments to the appropriate committee liaison.

Werner's comments to hot tear; some editing to remove personal discussions.