DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:21:43 -0700
Gary,

I would recommend sending the panel design out to your board vendor and
having them make a blank .062 panel board with the V-scores in it for
testing the panel concept. Web thickness vs. groove depth is divided up
typically as 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 of the board thickness. But each design is
different, and not all shops do V-scoring exactly the same... some use a
diamond wheel cutter and some use routing tools... check with them before
adopting a strategy and see what works best for your assemblers.

V-scoring can be a real board weakening operation that can allow the board
to sag when put through a wave soldering machine, or Pick and Place holders,
or even hand stuffing operation with board supports... sometimes it can be
hard to predict just how a scoring pattern can affect the panel stiffness
and the ease of breaking out single boards from the panel...

Our vendor made a blank panel for us for free to test out a routing design
and make sure that the boards would not separate when they weren't supposed
to and that the combination of the number of boards and V-scores didn't make
the board too weak. This exercise can save you on board spins and headaches
in prototyping...

You may find that making a smaller panel is more to your liking when
handling during assembly and test based upon the size of the panel you are
proposing and the number of v-scores that will be required to have 120
boards in it...

Also, take into account the board manufacturers panel size and the need for
some waste area around the perimeter of the panel...
How many of your assembly panels will fit into an 18X24 inch panel?

We chose to make our assembly panels 8X11 so that they will not be throwing
away board material at the manufacturer that we pay for but would not get
boards out of... That size gets us 4 of our assembly panels in one of the
board manufacturer's panels.

Sometimes we make 1/2 panels ( 4when we do small boards like you are doing
to make them stiffer and I design supports into the panel to help with
rigidity as well.

Panel design takes some careful thought, and planning... Get to know your
assembly people well and ask questions... it will help your product be more
cost effective and less trouble to build. Good Luck with it... :)

Best regards,

Bill Brooks, CID+