TECHNET Archives

July 2007

From:
Stephen Pence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stephen Pence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2007 00:09:16 -0400
Working for a manufacturer of cleaning equipment which has a resistivity
monitoring system I get this question quite often.  Many times from our
own sales people looking to eliminate the need for a customer to perform
separate ionic contamination testing.  As we make batch style equipment
my comments relate only to that type of equipment, I don't have any
experience with inline versions with resistivity monitoring.

The simple answer is, yes, you still need to perform a separate test
with an approved method to ensure you are meeting the ionic
contamination level in your specification.  All of the approved test
methods use a DI/Alcohol mixture to ensure any residual flux
(specifically rosin) is removed from the assembly.  Rosin is essentially
insoluble in water, so the alcohol is needed to dissolve it.

I have encountered situations in our equipment where no cleaning
chemical has been injected into the wash portion of the cleaning cycle
and the resistivity monitoring during the rinse cycle says that the
water is completely clean.  However when you open the chamber door at
the end of the cycle, the boards are covered in white residue.  The
rosin was never removed from the board because its not water soluble and
the resistivity monitoring system can only detect substances which are
dissolved in the water. When you place these boards in a DI/Alcohol
tester the resistivity value drops immediately.

The resistivity monitor in the cleaner can assist as a guideline for how
the cleaning process is running.  You can determine a relationship
between the value you see in the cleaner and the value you get with the
ionic tester.  However the correlation is very process and chemistry
dependent.

By looking through some test data we had from demos and sign offs I was
able to determine in one of our machine models, with a specific cleaning
chemistry, a water resistivity of 150 kOhm would pass the MIL-Spec for
ionic contamination.  However the resistivity sensor in that model was
not temperature compensated and so an equivalent resistivity in our
newer equipment would be 270 kOhm since its system is temperature
compensated to 25 degC.  Different cleaning chemistries also have
differing percentages of ionic species in them, making the resistivity
value for one type of chemistry and even percentage of chemistry
different from another.

All of this boils down to the resistivity monitoring built in to the
cleaners provides a good check for a stabilized cleaning process which
has already been qualified to a specification.  The water resistivity
might let you know that something is going wrong with your process, but
it can't tell you the assemblies were being cleaned to begin with.

Hopefully this answers you questions, if not please let me know.  This
all seems clear to me, but as the people I work with would tell you I
don't always give the clearest explanations.

Steve Pence
Unit Design, Inc.