DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:23:05 -0700
From:
Charles Gervasi <[log in to unmask]>
Cadence has confused everyone by selling a package that should be called
"Allegro Lite" under the name OrCAD PCB Editor.  This leads to confusion
with OrCAD Layout, which was a less advanced program that ten years ago
they pushed as a companion to OrCAD schematic capture.

Someone on this board said Cadence is going to start calling OrCAD
schematic capture "Allegro".  If this is true Cadence will lose simply
because of name confusion.

I suspect OrCAD is killing off the old OrCAD Layout but keeping various
levels of "Allegro" and "Allegro Lite".

OrCAD for schematic and Allegro for layout are a good pair.  I can't
imagine either one going away.