TECHNET Archives

June 2007

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hfjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 22:47:23 +0200
Garry,
You need not be a PhD to know. However, your docs are right. Copper
atoms are known to be rather stable, but in some cases they can start
mass 'evacuation', so called electromigration, either as surface
diffusion or grain boundary diffusion or bulk diffusion. I think surface
diffusion is the most known for Copper. If you have exposed copper on
you conductors, a voltage potential difference, and also have humidity
plus some mobile ions, like Chloride ions, you will get an electrolysis
effect, that can cause shorts between your you conductors. This happens
with semiconductor chips, I have had some cases to investigate, but can
possibly happen with PWBs as well. In one such case that I looked at,
the whole corrosion mess started with copper that diffused and was
changed to copper salts, that stared other reactions, which finally
caused all available metals to start moving and corrode. The blackish
mess was Silver, Copper, Nickel, Tin, Lead and some more constituents.
When the area dried, the process stopped occasionally, but went on as
soon as humidity was generated again. When the copper has a Nickel
barrier, this won't happen, because Nickel seems less apt to let atoms
move away. It's many years ago, when I worked with the cases, but I
think there was a additional explanation why small spots of exposed
copper was problematic: you get something called anode magnification,
which amplifies the corrosion in that specific copper spot. You may need
talk with your 'PhD's for a better explanation (one page is not enough).

 So, I have said it before, we don't ignore exposed Copper on the
vertical sides of the lines, especially not when used for RF, or high
voltages combined with humid environment. If, on the other hand, the
boards are properly coated, I think the described problem will not
likely occur.

(There is another type of electromigration caused by the electron wind
in a high current copper conductor, but I'm not sure that kind of
diffusion is actual in your case.)

Inge