TECHNET Archives

June 2007

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2007 03:38:24 -0400
GEORGE,

I FULLY AGREE.

WERNER

-----Original Message-----
From: Wenger, George M. <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 8:19 pm
Subject: Re: [TN] - Soldering testing of ENIG Features

I respectfully disagree.  Any solder joint that fractur
Vadimir,

I respectfully disagree.  Any solder joint that fractures at an
interface due to a stress is a brittle solder joint fracture which is a
recognized failure mode or failure "signature".  There may be several
mechanisms that cause brittle solder joint fractures but nevertheless
they are fractures at an interface that occur at less then expected
stress rather that cohesive separations in the bulk solder due to an
over-stress. The other names that are typically associated with ENIG
type failures (e.g., "Black Pad", "Black Line Nickel", "Weak Nickel")
are simply names people use to describe what they see or what they think
was the cause. If it was up to me I won't use these names.

Regards,

George

George M. Wenger
Senior Principle FMA / Reliability Engineer
Andrew Corporation Wireless Network Solutions Group
40 Technology Drive, Warren, NJ 07059
(908) 546-4531 (office)   (732) 309-8964 (cell)