TECHNET Archives

June 2007

Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:10:42 -0500
Ioan,

I am assuming that you are attempting to judge repeatability? Then you would need to determine which component packages to monitor but then also have enough on each to get enough data to do a study on. In previous lives, we were able to use the topline and practical boards for most placements but had special PCB's made for other packages. In one place, we used the PCB for a marketing business card gimick so we were able to use the boards afterwards and were able to judge placements well since we were placing a name that had a lot of rotations in the characters. Our PCB house was very reasonable since the boards had no vias, no bottom layer, and no electrical test or regulatory requirements.

As Joe has mentioned scrap PCB's also will work but be careful that the pad layouts used met the your preferred design spec otherwise you can judge yourself incorrectly due to layout problems that cause reduced repeatability. If you happen to have a good candidate it would certainly save time and tooling costs.

Kat