TECHNET Archives

June 2007

From:
Hernefjord Ingemar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hernefjord Ingemar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:34:36 +0200
We have used  the selflocking plastic insert nuts for twenty years with
no problems, and we shock and vibration test a lot according to MIL
specs. The disadvantage with split-ring washers is that they can corrode
in harsh environment and lose some of the good locking properties.  E.g.
imagine that you do service maintenance in field, and have to reuse the
lock washers. In such a situation, plastic insert nuts are better. As
most locking is based on friction and material constants, one has to
select bolts, nuts, screws and washers after the actual construction. If
you want very reliable lockings, and there is no quick-service demand,
use Flange nuts with plastic inserts. These nuts have a larger friction
area, and also grooves that make a tremendous grip. Sometimes, they are
too good: you nearly can't unlock. And, as I said, you need do
selections from the materials  you use. Locking bolts and nuts is an
art!
Inge