TECHNET Archives

June 2007

From:
- bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, - bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:06:39 -0400
June 25, 2007

Folks, we have an OEM who designed and qualified an assembly for military
(NAVY shipboard) shock and vibration requirements via performing shock and
vibration testing.  His qualified design used split ring lock washers.  To
save $ (assembly time primarly), the OEM proposes to replace the split ring
lock washers with Nylok type locking nuts.

Question is, would the OEM need to repeat the shock and vibration
qualification testing.  My understanding is that although split-ring washers
are sometimes called lock-washers, in fact, they do not "lock" the fasteners
in place, as is specifically stated in the applicable MS standard/mil spec
for the washers.  Apparently the Nylok locking nuts that have the plastic
(nylon??) insert are true locking devices and as such perform better as a
locking feature than do split-ring lock washers.  Therefore, there should be
no need to repeat shock and vibration qualification testing if the OEM
changed from split-ring lock washers to use Nylok type locking nuts.  The
only possible concern I am aware of is that the locking nuts can only be
used (removed and re-installed) a specified number of times (e.g., 10 to 15
times?).

I would like any Technet folks information on the above.  Thanks.