TECHNET Archives

June 2007

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:27:49 -0400
Are you talking field return or OEM in factory initial turn on.

If you are talking in-factory initial turn-on, typical device, solder
defects number 1. Mostly opens because shorts are easy to detect with
inspection and ICT. Though in my experience there special events on the
factory floor that can change all that.

If you are talking field returns, we have another story. And must include,
electronic design problems, mechanical design problems and customer abuse or
misuse.

I kept this kind of data at an Organ Company for years. The data set ran
from 1986 to 2000. We stored the information on a VAX 8300. I left in May of
2000. I doubt they continued to collect and analyze the data as that machine
was expensive to maintain and in a DataTrieve database, not easy to port
over to Windows.

I can tell you this. During that time there were periods when field failures
were primarily design related, others when failures were primarily board
fab. related, periods when failures were primarily component related
(sometimes semi-conductor other times passives) and other periods where
failures were primarily related to manufacturing problems. All of these
would be embarrassing for some interested party because they were
attributable to some special cause of failure and we were able to identify
that special cause.

There were very few periods in which the population of defects would not
have been influenced by one of these assignable causes. So, even this huge
data set would not tell you want the most common "common cause" defect would
be. My gut tells me it would be customer misuse followed by, in the case of
Allen Organ, electrical or mechanical design problem.

Other companies might have more design problems than misuse problems. BTW
these merge. You can have a design problem that customers attempt to fix,
which turns into a misuse problem . . . . Ever tried to change a battery in
an iPod? Is an unsuccessful attempt a design problem or customer misuse?