TECHNET Archives

June 2007

From:
"Douglas O. Pauls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:14:50 -0500
Good morning all,
I have two questions that relates to conformal coating practices.  We have
 a situation internal where we conformal coat assemblies in booths
outfitted with black lights and the coating has a fluorescent dye marker
(Humiseal 1B31).  Most booths have four 22W black light bulbs.  Our
inspectors use a circular magnifier outfitted with a circular black light
bulb.  The latter has a stronger output, possibly because the black light
bulb is much closer to the surface being inspected.  This is leading to
inspectors finding coating "defects" which cannot be seen with the black
light illumination in the coating booths.  So we have a running dispute
between inspectors and operators.

1.  Is there a meter that any of you would recommend by which we can
measure black light intensity at various distances?  I know there are a
number of them out on the market, but many are also of the variety that
check the UV output of high intensity devices such as UV imaging of solder
masks.

2.  What do your workmanship standards say regarding inspection under
black light?  Distance, magnification, intensity?

Thanks.

Doug Pauls
Rockwell Collins