TECHNET Archives

June 2007

From:
Glen Herzog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Glen Herzog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:11:58 -0500
Ron,

Your question, "Does anyone here have a sure fire way to combat insufficient
solder."  apparently has two interpretations (1) how do I get sufficient solder
and (2) What should my inspectors do when there is insufficient solder.  I'll try
to address the inspector issue.

Normally, inspectors do not cause rework.  They have criteria from J-STD-001
and ANSI/IPC-A-610.  Based on that criteria they will determine if an assembly
passes or fails the criteria.  Unless that Inspector is quite experienced, a
Quality Technician or Engineer, or a Process Engineer determines what action
must be taken.  Often "Insufficient Solder' is a process indicator.  The process
needs improved, but the board does not need to be reworked.

Incidentally, I don't think that the term "Insufficient Solder" is in either
standard.  I think that it is just a general term that we often use without
much definition.

Good Luck, Ron