LEADFREE Archives

June 2007

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"James, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2007 09:26:37 +0100
UK Net Regs guide:

http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/275207/1631119/1761856/?version=1&lang

=_e

Exemptions from the WEEE Regulations

Certain types of EEE are exempt from the regulations, including:

equipment that doesn't need electricity to work

equipment that is part of another type of equipment which is outside the

scope of the

WEEE Regulations, for example aircraft and vehicles

EEE designed to protect the UK's national security or that is used for a

military purpose

filament light bulbs

household lighting

large stationary industrial tools - permanently fixed at a given place

in industrial machinery or an industrial location

medical implants and infected medical equipment.

The exemptions listed above are described very generally. You should

seek advice from your environmental regulator if you think your products

may fall under an exemption.

And in the DTI WEEE Guide - Feb 2007:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file38209.pdf

30. Equipment may also be part of a fixed installation. A "fixed

installation" may

be a combination of several pieces of equipment, systems, products

and/or

components (or parts) assembled and/or erected by a professional

assembler or installer at a given place to operate together in an

expected

environment and to perform a specific task, but not intended to be

placed on

the market as a single functional or commercial unit.

What is the exemption for "fixed installations"?

Section 1.3 of the Commission's FAQ document states that the Directive

is not

considered to apply to "fixed installations". The European Commission's

Technical

Adoption Committee (TAC) of Member States is currently considering the

interpretation

of "fixed installation", Until any decision by the Commission on the

definition of "fixed

installation", this would typically be interpreted in the UK along the

lines of the

definitions outlined in this Chapter.

Regards,

Chris