LEADFREE Archives

June 2007

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 10:20:04 +0300
Tim is 100% correct. With over 40 years experience of
cleaning/contamination studies in electronics, I would say that I have
seen many failures due to inadequate cleaning. Spreading contaminants by
spot cleaning residues (especially with oxygenated hydrocarbons, such as
alcohols, ethers or esters) is much more likely to create new failure
mechanisms than doing nothing.

In any case, "no-clean" pastes are formulated specifically NOT to be
cleaned but whose residues are sufficiently benign as to not require
removal for some applications. If you must clean, use a paste whose
chemistry is designed for easy cleaning but whose residues may be more
dangerous if left uncleaned.

If you have a petrol (gasoline) engine in your car, do you put in diesel
fuel? Use the product adequate for the job.

All you are doing is creating a stick to break over your own back.

Brian