TECHNET Archives

May 2007

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 01:13:42 EDT
Dear Inge,

Thank you for your note and thoughts. I greatly appreciate your sharing  them
as you are a balanced thinker whose opinions i greatly respect. (I hope I
have not lost completely your confidence in my abilities to do so... ;-)

My message was just a personal experience and I do not question that there
are "many trees still standing in the forest". I was simply sharing an ironic
event given my long standing opposition.

I have owned and/or used more than a dozen laptops in the last 17  years and
this is the most expensive one and the most hyped (in terms of  reliability)
among them. It is also first one among them to have failed  without apparent
cause.

I cannot predict the future but I can read and interpret  scientific data and
indications are that we are looking at a  very bumpy road ahead. I listened
to a talk by Dr. Fay Hua at a recent  SMTA event and it was very sobering.

The failure aside, my greatest frustration remains that the RoHS products  we
are now being forced to buy are not as environmentally friendly as the
earlier products. Moreover, if we are to recycle, (which I am in accord with)  then
the matter of lead in solder is moot.

Best wishes,
Joe