TECHNET Archives

May 2007

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 08:13:21 -0400
Most of the consumer electronics I have torn apart are manufactured with out
flux removal. I am not aware of any definitive studies. In the lab, where I
once worked, we saw many examples of failure from flux contamination, almost
always poorly executed aqueous processing. I don't recall seeing a case
involving true L0 class low residue fluxes.

In my current position we did see returned boards with corrosion adjacent to
L0 low residue fluxes. Turns out our customer was using the assembly in a
condensing environment. As described by Brian below, the result is not
acceptable.

Traditionally these assemblies were made with WS fluxes and cleaned. Now, we
are seeing MEMs relays and MLD packaged charge pumps. We simply cannot clean
under them. The maker of the charge pump recommends no-clean flux because
they have easily swamped high impedance inputs. . . . We are looking at
coatings  and solvent cleaning.