TECHNET Archives

May 2007

From:
Sue Powers-hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Sue Powers-hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 15:54:53 -0500
We fight a constant battle with operators leaving burnt flux in joints. Maybe
only a small speck, but drives the inspectors nuts.  The way I read JStd-001D,
if they can not see it at referee inspection power, they have to accept it.
How dangerous is this burnt flux to the PWB?  If it's not seen at inspection
power and left on the board, what happens.  Also, what about no clean flux?
Our solder training video says that if no clean flux runs out to far and is not
heat activated, it can cause problems. Operators watch this video, but
somehow do not get this. They say that it's no clean, they can leave it all on.
I keep saying that this can be a problem, and then they ask me, how far out
can the flux be away from the joint before it's unacceptable.

Wow, I'm glad I found this forum, I have so many questions to ask you guys.
Anyway, thanks for the help on this subject.