TECHNET Archives

May 2007

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 16:01:00 -0500
Hi All!

I got a rigid-flex assembly here that has multi-layer flex in it, and it
had a layer of the flex get torn while de-masking it after conformal
coating. I have a picture of the tear here:

http://www.stevezeva.homestead.com/files/Flex_Tear.jpg

As you see, the tear is on the edge and away from any conductors. The
assembly isn't going to be continuously flexed back and forth, it is
going to be formed in a fixture and remain that way and installed into
the upper-level assembly where it will stay in the formed position.

Should I do anything with it other than maybe carefully trim it off?
Will any repair actually do anything as far as reliability is concerned?
For that matter, has the tear compromised the reliability of the flex in
that area? There's been suggestions of some sort of epoxy repair, but I
don't think that it will buy you anything as far as reliability is
concerned.

What do you think I should do?

Steve Gregory