TECHNET Archives

May 2007

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 18:44:46 +0300
Ah, yes, the Williamson amplifier, 2 KT66s in push-pull with the unique
feature that the beam tetrode screen was connected to a tap on the
primary windings of the transformer. The massive xfo was needed to
prevent phase shift at low frequencies with the massive negative
feedback. At the time, Williamson worked for Ferranti in Edinburgh. I
was a student and attended a lecture by him, demonstrating his gear. He
also invented a ribbon pickup head that operated at 1 g. The output was
so low that he had to use an EF80 (?) electrometer valve to get a low
noise level. With a newly cut acetate disk, he obtained the stupendous
s/n ratio of the time of 85 dB and a THD of 0.08% at all levels. His
demos were astounding. Not the least was an acetate disk going up to 20
kHz (which I could hear in my youth, but he did have an oscilloscope
connected for the cloth-ears). Unless I'm much mistaken, he was also the
inventor of the elliptical diamond stylus; certainly he had one on his
ribbon pickup. This was just at the time of the first Decca ffrr vinyl
33 disks appearing on the market (possibly 1949) and he took my breath
away with the quality he demonstrated.

Brian

Hernefjord Ingemar wrote:
> I glued copper foils on something called Pertinax, then I used French Polish (shellac)as etchant resist, and finally used Iron Chloride as etchant. All done on free hand. And I made my own inductors for the speaker high pass filters. And lowered the bass frequency by cutting out the speaker membrane with a scalpel, remove the membrane+coil. Then I made a mixture of arabic rubber, aceton and textile fibres, let it dry and glued this circular string onto the membrane, then reassembled the membrane+coil. The lower frequency capability changed from 50 Hz to 10 Hz ! But you couldn't use much input power (which was not necessary either, at that time, when the music content was more important than the amplifier max output power). And the output transformer was ordered from England, hand made, created by a early audio pioneer named Williamson. It was a heavy bit of iron and copper. For getting 20 Watts out, the transformer's weight was something  like 12 kilograms! I regret deeply
, that my early creations went into the waste bin!