TECHNET Archives

May 2007

From:
Leo Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Leo Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 09:49:26 -0700
The use of SAC105, and many low silver / low copper variants with and without minor additives (Ni, Ge, rare earths, etc.) is being driven by makers of hand held telecom products due to studies showing improved resistance to failure in the solder ball connections during drop testing.  These designs are also forcing the removal of Ni from the pad finish on both the package and motherboard substrates.  I expect the use of these new SAC solders will increase over time, and spread to other types of products.

Best regards,
Leo

Leo M. Higgins III, Ph.D.
Sr. Vice President, Engg and Technology