TECHNET Archives

May 2007

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hfjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 21:41:51 +0200
Well, well, anything funny comes to an end. I have to write a report and
I will do my best to convince my client. If anything goes wrong, I will
say : this is what the TechNet gurus decided....he-he

Seriously, I think I have focused on wrong objects. Gone in circles. Not
unusual in our profession. I have considered and weighted what you gnus
had to say, and made this logical conclusion:

General joint strength: Good
Leads plating: OK
Solder pad plating: OK
Solder paste: OK
Solder phases near lead: OK
Solder phases in middle of joint: OK
Solder phases near solder pad: OK
IMC at lead interface: OK
Solder voids: caused by insufficient peak dwell
Solder voids vs. failure: not primary cause
Solder void content: debris caused by micro shockwaves in water,
polishing grains acts as abrasive, soft Lead partly removed
mechanically.
Solder voiding countermeasure: diamond milk, low rotation speed.
Fracture at lead interface: NO
Fracture in the middle of joint: NO
Fracture at solder pad surface: NO
Fracture at lead/IMC interface: likely
Fracture frequency: random
Fracture pattern from field : random
Black pad: not likely
Skip plating: not likely
Dewetting: not likely
IMC at solder pad interface: much varying in thickness, partly missing!
Consequence of poor IMC: local weakness in joint strength
Cause for poor IMC on solder pad: Insufficient soldering
Primary failure cause: varying flow of coating under FPGA,
thermomechanical impacts overloads regions with missing IMC.
Countermeasure: No coating allowed under FPGA, improved solder profile.

The confidence of this conclusion is better than 50/50, best I could do.
Look at last photo, which I send to Steve. Follow the IMC from right to
left. Seen even better in SEM, but this is THE END.

Thanks all

Inge