TECHNET Archives

May 2007

From:
"Barmuta, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Barmuta, Michael
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 07:33:14 -0700
Yes Brian, I agree that HASL has more variation in thickness.

The other issues with fused tin lead that has not been brought out is it's not truly 63/37% eutectic. It has much more variation than HASL. When electroplating Sn/Pb you are not plating solder you are plating elemental Sn and Pb. As the current density varies both on the surface and in the holes the ratio of Sn to Pb varies. It will typically range from about 55 to 70 % Sn depending on the current density for that location.

Also if the chemistry and organics are not tightly controlled on the Sn/Pb electroplating bath you can have additional soldering problems from even greater variations in thickness, Sn/Pb ratio and occluded and co-deposited organics.

I have built literally ten of millions of fused Sn/Pb boards up thru 1998. We used IR fusing for most. Much more user friendly. However in the early days we also used a double PPG set up. Hot, messy, stinky, YUK.

I apologize to all for difficulty in reading my response to Richard. I had put it in a different format style and color but apparently it didn't make it thru the grinder as sent.

																					Regards
																								Michael Barmuta
																								Staff Engineer
																								Fluke Corp.