TECHNET Archives

April 2007

From:
David Greig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Greig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:55:21 +0100
Ken,

Is the failure immediate after assembly, or after use?

I had a metallization migration problem many years ago with a custom built polyprop cap. It was used in a resonant conversion
circuit, 360nF, 500Arms @ 200kHz switching. Turned out that 40% of the available free electrons were being used.

Halfing the value suggests metallization might be missing, or very thin and migrating at one end of the cap.

Best Regards

David Greig