TECHNET Archives

April 2007

From:
Bob Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bob Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:02:40 -0700
"Scratch"!?

Do you mean that literally or writing something in ink?  On a multi-layer
board you are risking scratching through a layer of fiberglass to copper.

The way I've done it for years is to put the assembly number on the primary
side along with a blank block for the assembly revision and another block
for the board serial number. And usually the company logo in silk.

The secondary side has the bare board part number and bare board revision
level in copper.  I think the reason for that is that the silkscreen has a
chance of getting erased, but the bare board number in copper is almost
indelible.

I've seen every combo possible in 20+ years, including adding a blank block
in the silk to add computer MAC addresses, ESD and lead free symbols, both
the assembly and bare board in copper, both in silk etc.

If you like, I can send a jpg of the method so you can see what I'm
yammering about.

Bob Wilson
E/M Designer, CID
SpectraSensors, Inc.