TECHNET Archives

April 2007

From:
David Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 10:26:43 +0100
Just notice this article in reading Fortune magazine:
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/02/05/8399195/index.htm

Shoveling IT - it's about electronics waste, and a dump in China:

"A health survey done last year by nearby Shantou University found that of
165 children under the age of 6 examined in Guiyu, 82% had symptoms of lead
poisoning."

Against current wisdom?

"A vast majority of the e-waste comes from the U.S. and countries in Europe
- despite rules established at the 1989 Basel Convention that banned the
trading of toxic materials. ... (The U.S. remains the only industrialized
nation that hasn't adopted the Basel guidelines.)"

Dave
--
David Hudson