TECHNET Archives

April 2007

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hfjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 23:12:17 +0200
Yes, nothing new, old stuff. But Universal will start intense
accelerated tests with various board and package configurations in order
to find the optimums. The last report this year is indeed optimistic.
Peter is just now discussing these details with us before the tests
start. I have proposed even superBGAs, but not many are using them. LGAs
are also of interest, but they will neither be included. It's a large
program, Peter will have a very tough year(s) before the program is
ended. I suppose many TN members are involved in Universal's program.

We are soldering LF every day and we have been lucky so far. Until
today, in fact. One BGA won't melt. I performed analysis of the balls
and found that it wasn't LF but something like 63Sn37Pb. Why I say
'like' is because there was a difference between the ball surface and
the bulk. The balls had a peculiar surface structure, composition
approx. 95Sn, while the bulk was more like 63Sn. So, that was a
surprise, and will not be the last one.

Inge