TECHNET Archives

March 2007

From:
Hernefjord Ingemar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hernefjord Ingemar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:11:13 +0100
There may be one way to reveal microcracks in ceramic caps. I have not
practised that myself. We had severe problems many years ago, and had
some help from Yves Ousten, french scientist. He developed a method to
indicate and follow the development of microcracks in ceramic
capacitors. Rather complex method, I don't think you will pay for the
instruments that are necessary, like HP spectrum analyser, frequency
generators, calibrated RF cables and fixtures. Maybe you can by these
instruments on the BID market.
The principle is based on ceramic material's ferromagnetic/piezoelectric
properties. By means of a selected RF signal, you create a resonance
circuit which one is extremly sensitive to dielectric changes. You
create a reference capacitor model, and from this one, you can indicate
any deviations caused by microcracks. I have lost the telephone number
and adress to Yves Ousten, maybe you can find him yourself. Anyway, his
work was named as follows:

Yves Ousten: Nondestructive detection and localization of defects in
multilayer cer chip caps using electromechanical resonances.

If you are interested, I can dig in my stack of reports and see if
Yves's paper is still there....

Good Luck

Inge