TECHNET Archives

March 2007

From:
"Wenger, George M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wenger, George M.
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 21:12:36 -0500
The answer John gave you is really bad news because he i
Leland,

The answer John gave you is really bad news because he is absolutely

correct.  The only test we've found to detect cracked ceramic chip

capacitors that works is to subject assemblies to 85C/85%RH without any

bias for 24-48 hours and then take them out of the humidity chamber and

power them up without any current limiting.  If there are cracked

capacitors the moisture in the crack will cause a spectacular exothermic

short-circuit across the crack.  The only problem with the test is that

the spectacular exothermic reaction usually melts the ceramic capacitor

and the copper pads on the PCB and also burns a hole in the PCB making

it non-repairable.  The only consolation is that the cracked capacitor

was found before shipping and not during the customers use.

Regards,

George

George M. Wenger

Andrew Corporation Wireless Network Solutions

Senior Principal FMA / Reliability Engineer

40 Technology Drive, Warren, NJ 07059

(908) 546-4531 [Office]  (732) 309-8964 [Cell]