TECHNET Archives

March 2007

From:
John Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 17:27:49 -0800
Leland,
I don't know where to start first, the bad news or the really bad news.

Lets start with the bad news first.
1) Capacitor cracking seldom results in an open part unless the part is
specifically designed as such
2) They all crack such that the cracks are vertical or angle back
towards the termination or end of the chip
3) Virtually all cracks are not visible but hidden under the termination
4) Failure needs two things to go short (sometimes spectacular
exothermic events in telecom power supplies)
    a) DC bias.0.86V across the ends
    b) Humidity in the air even diffusing thru the conformal coat
5) Time and accelerated by DC voltage and humidity

The really bad news is x-ray isn't going to help and I know of no
electrical test to detect ever increasing leakage currents.
1) Those leakage currents grow exponentially with respect to time
starting in the pA range and ending sometimes in catastrophic events
2) X-ray won't work because with the exception of NP0 ceramics they all
contain barium and that my friend is a great x-ray absorber on the order
of lead
3) Even if the x-ray system could "see" through the ceramic, crack
widths are measured in a couple of microns, not much help
4) Acoustic microscopy is probably your best hope to find cracks on the
assembly but required a good operator to properly analyze the results.

Regards,

John Maxwell