TECHNET Archives

March 2007

From:
Paymon Sani <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Paymon Sani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:01:52 -0400
Hello Peter,

I have not looked at the suspect assemblies. However, this defect can
occur when the Nickel under the gold is oxidized prior to the TH
component assembly process. The electroless nickel is not pure and it
contains 10 to 14 percent phosphorus by weight. The nichel-phosphorus is
a good diffusion barrier to avoid corrosion of the solderable surface.
If the phosphor content is low i.e. 3 to 5% by weight then the
solderable surface will oxidize by each reflow heat application. The
oxidize nickel will then prevent soldering to the surface. The link
below is a good read on the ENIG surface finish.

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/129901.html

The assemblies should be reworkable with aggressive water soluble
fluxes, some mechanical action and a suitable soldering iron tip
temperature.

Hope this helps,

Paymon