TECHNET Archives

March 2007

From:
Jack Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:57:21 -0600
Hi Folks,
We use a small solder pot with a nitrogen atmosphere to pre tin components.
We are using Kester ultra pure 63/37 bar solder at 260C (500F) and tinning in
the neighborhood of 500 components per month, then the solder is changed.
The problem that we are seeing is some kind of contamination in the way of
very small, fine, hairlike, polarized metal stuff.  Analysis of this stuff claims
that it is copper or iron, but we can't get a real good sample to know exactly
what it is. Kester has been sent samples and they have come back with
nothing and I have had an outside lab, as well as our own look at this solder
with nothing definitive as to what it is or where it comes from.  I have tried
three different lots of solder and the problem continues to show up on  a
random basis. Our tinning pot is obsolete and I can't go our and buy a new
pot, so that option is not available.  Just wondering if anyone else has ran into
this problem and possibly found a solution?

Thanks,
Jack Evans,
Aeroflex Colorado Springs