TECHNET Archives

March 2007

From:
Hernefjord Ingemar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hernefjord Ingemar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:56:48 +0100
N'ya pas A.

You can only speak in general terms. Usually, you can't ask for special finish for your wire bonding. Instead, you have to adopt your bonding to the standard boards you get from the board maker. I can just give you example on common properties:

Electro full additive Au/Ni plating = 0.5 - 1.0 micrometers of gold over minimum 2.0 micrometers of nickel.
Electroless Nickel/Immersion Gold = 2-10 micrometers of nickel, overplated with 0.05-0.15 micrometers of gold.

A number of parameters will then (have to) be examined in bonding point of view: board thickness, surface microhardness, surface asperity,  cleanliness, wire diameter, wire microhardness, wedge or capillary selection and...think I have a fishbone somewhere. So, if you Al wedge with a tungsten tool and 150 um wire, you will bond to  nearly any NiAu treatment, but with thinner wires, some problems may occur. As an example, we got bond problems with a teflon based board. The bondpad jazzed with the U/S music and there was no good adhesion. Doubling the nickel thickness made the bondpad more stable, and the bond problem vanished. If you are a small customer, there may be some trouble to have the big board manufacturer to make such specials.

Ericsson have bonded approx. 2 million ENIG boards the last years,  with mixed Al wire diameter, but it wasn't without problems when started. Those boards fall within the second category above.

Inge