TECHNET Archives

March 2007

Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:39:32 -0400

Good morning,

      A little over a week ago I posed a question regarding solder purity

   and a perception of conflict between J-STD 001 & J-STD 006. Luck was not

   with me as there were no replies. Alas, I will try one more time in

   hopes that the tech gurus here can provide some insight or solutions

   based on similar experience.

   I am hoping that someone can help us with a clarification regarding

   solder purity/composition requirements. Specifically the following:

   ANSI J STD 006 on page 3 lists allowable impurities in the solder alloy

   when purchased. One component in particular is indium @ 0.10 allowable

   limit.

   However, ANSI J STD 001 which is the assembly specification used in

   daily production lists on page 5 allowable solder impurities which does

   not include/allow Indium.

   ANSI J STD 001 which is also the specification used for testing lists on

   page 5 allowable solder impurities which also does not allow Indium.

   Perhaps we are interpreting the sentence associated with the table on

   both 001 and 003 wrong, however the sentence does state:  “the balance

   of the bath shall be lead and/or the items listed above.” How can you

   allow Indium in the raw purchased solder and not allow it in the

   production solder?

   Thank you in advance for your thoughts and clarifications.

Brian Guidi

Senior Product Engineer / N.P.I.

Teledyne Printed Circuit Technology

Tel: (603) 889-6191  X:310

Fax: (603) 886-2977

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Visit us @ http://www.tetpct.com

Any technical information attached to this document is intended for the

recipient only.  Also, the export and use of the information is regulated

by the export laws of the United States.  Diversion contrary to U.S. law is

prohibited.  U.S. law prohibits sharing this information with any end-user

for any end-use related to the design, development, production, stockpiling

or use of chemical, biological or nuclear weapons or missiles, without the

prior approval of the United States Government.