TECHNET Archives

March 2007

From:
Gene Felder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 08:08:00 -0700
Here's our answer to this question:
When working at an ESD protected workstation, is it acceptable for the use of
regular home fans while assembling product?

Answer:
There are two ESD control issues:
1)	Is likely that portions of the fan is insulative generating
electrostatic charges and
	by definition cannot be grounded.
2)	Is not likely a problem that air is dirty enough having particles that
will tribocharge.

If fan is all conductive, it should be grounded. Per ANSI/ESD S20.20 Fundamental
Principle "All conductors in the environment, including personnel, must be
bonded or electrically connected and attached to a known ground".

Nonessential insulators must be removed. Per ANSI/ESD S20.20 Paragraph 6.2.3.1.
Protected Areas Requirement
"All nonessential insulators, such as those made of plastics and paper (e.g.
coffee cups, food wrappers and personal items) must be removed from the
workstation. Ionization or other charge mitigating techniques shall be used at
the workstation to neutralize electrostatic fields on all process essential
insulators if the electrostatic field is considered a threat."

However, if you deemed it an essential insulator, you must keep 12" away from
ESD sensitive products (or use ionization). ANSI/ESD S20.20 Paragraph 6.2.3.1.
Protected Areas Requirement
"Ionization or other charge mitigating techniques shall be used at the
workstation to neutralize electrostatic fields on all process essential
insulators if the electrostatic field is considered a threat."  And Paragraph
6.2.3.2. Protected Areas Guidance "All process essential insulators that have
electrostatic fields that exceed 2,000 volts should be kept at a minimum
distance of 12 inches from ESDS items."

Does air tribocharge? Per  ESD Handbook TR20.20 section 2.5 "Virtually all
materials, including water and dirt particles in the air, can be
triboelectrically charged."  Per section 5.5.5 Tribocharging "Tribocharging from
equipment can be caused by conveyer belts, hardware sliding on surfaces, and
moving fluids (sprays) or solids (sandblasters). Moving gases that are free of
particulates, e.g. from air guns, fans, or heat guns do not tribocharge an
insulator or conductor. If rapid air movement causes parts or dust particles to
rub together, tribocharging might occur. Grounded conductive surfaces can
tribocharge an insulative surface. An insulative surface can charge an
ungrounded conductor, which is the greatest ESD hazard."

Gene Felder