TECHNET Archives

March 2007

From:
"valerie St. Cyr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:00:32 -0400
All the listed materials are good at LF temps; however, they are all high
Dk/Df.

If you need a low loss or low Dk material (otherwise why use FR408), then
they won't be good substitutes. The Nelco 4000-13EP is comparable or even
more favorable for loss. We have been successful on a number of mid-temp
assemblies (ie: 245C) with this material, including ones which were
trouble before switching over. You could also look at Isola's IS415 which
is low loss, but not low Dk. I think it was developed to fit into the
FR408 space. We have done some protos with it and had no issues, but have
not yet ramped it to volume (although we plan to on a new part).

You're mileage may vary. You will need to run a simulation reflow on your
specific part.

Regards, Valerie

"Whittaker, Dewey (EHCOE)" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
03/12/2007 12:45 PM

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Laminate material selection

IMHO and having assessed many, many things given the known variables and
needed process controls or the lack there-of, I would only use the
following:

*         Polyclad 370 HR
*         Panasonic R-1755
*         Nelco N4000-29