TECHNET Archives

March 2007

From:
Bob Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bob Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:07:23 -0600
Hi All,

Engineering wants to solder a few jumper wires to press-fit pins on production
boards. I am not completely comfortable soldering to press-fit pins and want
to get input from others because there appears to be conflicting information
between previous posts on this subject and IPC-610.

I have read concern that the heat from soldering (hand soldering in this case)
may compromise the press-fit connection - the theory being that the hole is
already physically deformed and under some degree of stress by design of the
press-fit pin and that heat may produce additional unintended stress. Since
we are soldering a jumper wire the entire hole will not be filled and there will
be a limited amount of heat introduced. Having never seen rework wires
soldered to press-fit pins on production boards, I don't know if this is really a
risk. Has anybody done this? The connector vendor is not willing to comment
because they don't have information about this, so that adds to the unknown.

The second issue I have read about is that the design of the press-fit
connection prohibits the formation of a properly wetted solder interface
between the pin and plated through hole. Since we are talking about a solder
connection to connect a jumper wire to end of the pin and not for an
electrical connection of the pin to the board I don't think this applies to our
case.

On the other hand, IPC-610 does have a section (4.3.2.1) that gives criteria
for soldering press-fit pins so they must think it is OK. It states that press-fit
pins are not intended to be soldered, but if soldering is required it gives
criteria.

So, my quandry is...is soldering jumper wires to press-fit pins a risk or not?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Bob