DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Karl Bates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:07:24 -0500
I always use Pin2 as Cathode, unless the datasheet specifies otherwise.    I
think I learned that from Lucent.   alphabetical order A=1 C=2 ?

From: Pat Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [DC] Footprint standards for Polarized components (Diodes)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:12:59 EDT

Hi. My two cents worth:  I always use pin 1 as ANODE and 2 as Cathode. If
the
schematic symbol is made this way and is placed in the proper electrical
direction that the circuit requires, then the footprint (following the same
convention) with have the cathode's polarizing mark in the correct position.
(My thinking here is plus to minus vs the military thinking of minus to
plus)

The parts that throw me for loop are the to-92 transistors. EBC or CBE ..
I've been bitten a few times on this one because of the different
manufacturer's
pinouts (and also watch for the sneaky datasheet that shows the "solder
side"
instead of the view from top.

Pat Johnson
Compu-Tier

To temporarily stop/(restart) delivery of DesignerCouncil send: SET
DesignerCouncil NOMAIL/(MAIL)
E-mail Archives