TECHNET Archives

February 2007

From:
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 13:06:56 -0600
Along with what Peer stated, there is an IPC Standard that provides instructions on solder paste handling. It states that the solder paste jar or Nelco tube or container should not be placed back into refrigeration once it has been removed. The initial removal does not usually condense moisture because the container is full, with the inner lid and the aluminum foil seal above the inner lid providing a seal from air. You cannot get condensation if no air is present under the inner lid.
Upon removing the inner lid you expose the paste to air, and if you mix it the air is mixed into the paste. You cannot reseal the jar at this point and refrigerate it without having some condensation occur.

Secondly, there are some solder pastes that are much more susceptible to spattering because while sitting on a shelf in the Nelco tube the flux separates from the thixotropic material in a very short time. You can see this when you get a tube of paste and it is dark brown or green near the nozzle where it comes out of the tube. Upon removing the red cap, sometimes it is so bad that the flux will actually pour out, sans fines. When you perform the spattering tests and the wetting tests on copperclad board per the IPC-TM-650 test methods, these pastes will always fail. They usually also fail the slumping and print definition testing as well, even after they have been re-mixed.

It has been my experience that once you have qualified a good solder paste that passed the above tests and the paste is being handled properly (use up all of the single container you remove from the fridge within 2-3 days, do not return it to the fridge, FIFO, etc.), then the cause of spattering is usually moisture trapped in the vias because the pwb was washed between side one processing and side two, and not properly dried prior to printing/placing/reflowing the second side. The other frequently-seen cause is contamination on the pwb/components. Both of these happen quite often.

Most solder pastes today (but far from all) are made with a flux formulation that allows the flux residues to remain on the board between side one and side two reflows, and yet will wash off properly after both sides have been completed. If you are not using a paste of this type, your paste is probably outdated. I think it is a good idea to evaluate new solder paste candidates once every two years to make sure you have the best one for your process.

Another item that can cause spattering, but less frequently, is the type of solder paste in terms of particle size. If you are using Type 3 paste, you should not see spattering unless it is from one of the causes I described above.
However, if you are attempting to use Type 4 or higher, which has a smaller grain size, then you really need to have a handle on your print process, as any overprinting due to misregistration, aperture size too large, etc., will really have an effect on the number of extraneous fines being seen, and this is not really spattering at all, but is often mistaken as such.