TECHNET Archives

February 2007

From:
Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 11:11:20 -0800
Hi Steve,

I'll admit, it has been a long time since I have had to conformal coat, but
my ace in the hole for masking was always 3M#250, which is also one that is
used for adhesion tests (ASTM).  At least it used to be....

The property that I always admired it for was the complete lack of transfer
of adhesive, even through my urethane, epoxy, and acrylic coating
processes, baked or not baked.

We monitored shelf life on the rolls to ensure that the bonding system
remained intact.  I suspect that is what the issue is in your situation.

I used Caplugs and made custom boots (after all, we did potting in the same
lab) for the higher volume products.  The issue with the plugs was
viscosity of the coating so be careful.

Phil