TECHNET Archives

February 2007

From:
Graham Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:53:19 -0500
Hi Richard
Ken is talking about using them within the conformal coating
application, as an alternative to tape or other means of masking an area
such as a connector.  We use them on production of > 200 / CCA year as
the labour savings offset the cost of the boots.

To answer Ken's questions:

1) multiple use?  Absolutely - it wouldn't make sense as single use.
After the coating has cured you can flex the boot and the coating peels
off.

2) no ESD issues, the caps / boots are made of ESD safe (conductive)
materials.

3) stop using them when they are damaged - we've got a bunch that have
been used > 100 times each and they are all OK still - so I'm not sure
what the lifespan is.  We bought enough to process a good size batch at
a time - 50 of each connector type.  That way we can fire them through
the coating robot without slowing down to re-use caps right away.

4) cost trade will obviously depend on your labour costs, and what the
particular cap will cost.  It made sense for us on some products, but
for very low rate stuff - not economically sensible.  Also not cost
justified where we have oddball connectors and would have to pay some
tooling costs.

regards,

Graham Collins
Process Engineer,
L-3 Communications Electronic Systems Inc.
Halifax
(902) 873-2000 ext 6215

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/05/07 01:54PM >>>
The boots are required on all military hardware for both ESD
protection
and preventing damage, unless there are contract specifications
indicating otherwise.