TECHNET Archives

February 2007

From:
Graham Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:22:21 -0500
Hi Amol!
We deal with multiple customers here.  We request drawings specify
either tolerances, or a verbal description of the area e.g. "mating
surfaces of connectors".  We have some instances where the drawing has a
cross-hatched area and a drawing note that says to mask approximately
where shown.

We have had problems where drawings only specify a dimensioned keep-out
area, and the general tolerance for the drawing is something small - so
it says to mask something like .25" +- .005"  - not my idea of a good
time.  When we get drawings like that we submit change requests to
loosen the tolerance for the keep-out area.

Always fun.

regards,

Graham Collins
Process Engineer,
L-3 Communications Electronic Systems Inc.
Halifax
(902) 873-2000 ext 6215

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/05/07 10:06AM >>>
Dear all,

Since we are on the topic of conformal coating, I wanted to get a feel
for how conformal coating masking requirements are being requested by
the customer and being handled by the manufacturers. The customer
drawing usually states the type of CC to be used and the keep-out areas
for the coating (usually location Ids on the board). When one is masking
on the keep-out areas, what tolerances are being used around the
keep-out areas?.......IPC 610 D only states that there should be no CC
on keep-out areas, and therefore by logical deduction, also assumes that
all areas except the keep-out areas are to be covered by coating.

Obviously, there are practical limitations to this requirement. For
example, a test via is a keep-out area, but the trace running from the
via is not. Is everybody out there JUST masking the via, and then doing
manual touch up on the extra keep-out area if any, afterwards? If one
goes too close, the coating flows on the keep-out area, and if one
leaves some space, you are violating IPC specs! .,..........I am
thinking along the lines of asking customers to specify a tolerance for
the keep-out areas as some of them are very particular about this
issue.

Requesting your thoughts, current best practices etc

Regards,
Amol